Painshill was created between 1738 and 1773 by the Hon. Charles Hamilton, 9th son and 14th child of 6th Earl of Abercorn. Painshill was created as a reomantic landscape to stimulate the senses and emotions of the visitor. Until the outbreak of World War 11 Painshill was held by a series of private owners. The main decay started in 1948 following the sale by the Coombe family. Rescuing and restoring this exceptional Grade 1 landscape with undiscovered history was extremely challenging but exceedingly rewarded being capped with the award of the rare Europa Nostra Medal in 1998 'for the exemplary restoration from a state of extreme neglect, of a most important 18th century landscape park and it's extraordinary buildings' Painshill Park is of international importance and the Painshill Park Trust now has a long term aim to become a world heritage site.
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:Autum Scenes, Painshill Park, Painshill Park Cobham